RE: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:14:12 -0700

> > Stefan's suggestion to allow an `only-after-completion' value for
> > `find-file-confirm-nonexistent' makes the most sense. I think that
> > would make everyone happy. (The default value of
> > `find-file-confirm-nonexistent' should remain, nil, however, IMO.)
>
> Yes, Stefan's suggestion sounds doable. However, I would actually
> prefer for it to be the default, as there I see benefits especially
> for new users and little problems for others.

We disagree about the default value. WDOT?

> Secondly, I don't think we should go through the full confirmation
> dialog. Instead, just a "ding" sound should be enough, and a second
> RET would then act as confirmation.

No special opinion on that, but what you say sounds reasonable to me.

> Is this really a special case for file name completion, and really
> only for `find-file'? Does it not apply to all kinds of completion?

The same considerations apply, probably, but it's not clear that a given
user would necessarily want the same behavior for all lax completion. Dunno
if it might be good to have two such options, one for `read-file-name' and
one for `completing-read'.

BTW, I assume (and hope) that this `only-after-completion' behavior would
apply only for TAB RET, not for TAB followed by some editing followed by
RET. That is, it is not just "after completion"; it is "immediately after
completion". It's important to be able to use completion to get a value that
you then edit and enter with RET. In such a case, it would not make sense
for `only-after-completion' to `ding' and require a second RET.