Re: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:46:18 +0100

On 13 Aug 2007, at 19:15, Stefan Monnier wrote:

find-file-confirm-nonexistent doesn't use a "confirmation dialog", it just puts a "[Confirm]" text in the minibuffer and rejects the RET (so you just
need to hit RET a second time).

Is that a variable to set (I don't have it), or how can I try this out?

I presume the [Confirm] text appears next to the entered file name and doesn't replace it?
That would be good.

Drew Adams wrote:

The same considerations apply, probably, but it's not clear that a given user would necessarily want the same behavior for all lax completion. Dunno if it might be good to have two such options, one for `read-file- name' and
one for `completing-read'.

The reason why I'm pushing for this is that I find it reasonable to have one behavior for as many cases as possible. Special cases are usually confusing.

To experiment with this, we could use the two keymaps that exist, e.g. `minibuffer-local-filename-completion-map', where we could rebind RET to something that checks whether the previous command was a completion command.

BTW, I assume (and hope) that this `only-after-completion' behavior would apply only for TAB RET, not for TAB followed by some editing followed by RET. That is, it is not just "after completion"; it is "immediately after
completion".

Correct.