Re: can't turn off font-lock

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: can't turn off font-lock
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:31:08 -0500

    That is not font-lock mode.  Emacs uses a different face for the prompt.

>From a user's point of view, I can say that this apparently-crucial
distinction between font-lock faces and non-font-lock faces is utterly
obscure (I'll send a separate msg about that), and it just seems weird
that (global-font-lock-mode 0) doesn't turn off everything.

If you feel it's inappropriate for (global-font-lock-mode 0) to turn off
such things, then how about another feature that turns off all these
colorizations and such things?  As in, (black-and-white-emacs) ...

As I wrote in other msgs, it is quite painful to discover and turn off
all the face names individually.  (E.g., C-u C-x = isn't usable with
minibuffer text, mode lines, etc.)

If this isn't going to happen, then I suggest adding something to the
Font Lock node saying that it does not affect all faces.

karl

P.S. I also noticed that the startup screen and *scratch* buffer text are
colorized, although I was turning off font-lock on the cmd line:
  emacs-22.1 -q --no-site --eval "(global-font-lock-mode 0)"
The mode lines also use gray rather than black and white.
(Not that these particular things are very important to me.)

I imagine these are more instances of non-font-lock faces.  Just
mentioning it for the archives.