Re: Patch: prefer-window-split-horizontally

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Patch: prefer-window-split-horizontally
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:47:15 +0300

> I reworked Fredrik Axelsson's patch [1] since I couldn't contact him for
> more than a month.  I think now would be a good time to include it.
>
> It adds this new variable:
> ,----[ C-h v prefer-window-split-horizontally RET ]
> | prefer-window-split-horizontally is a variable defined in `C source code'.
> | Its value is t
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *Non-nil means that windows are split horizontally, i.e. side-by-side,
> instead
> | of vertically by `display-buffer'.
> | An integer value means that windows may only be split horizontally if the
> newly
> | created window is at least as wide as that value.

What do you think about adding another variable `split-window-function'
with the default value `split-window-vertically' or nil with the same
meaning, and the possible other value `split-window-horizontally'?
This would be like setting `ediff-split-window-function' to
`split-window-horizontally'.

Since this value will hold a function we can set it to any function
that implements different heuristics to decide how to split the window:
whether to take into account the window size or the window name, etc.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/