Re: address@hidden: RE: emacs 22.1 on hp-ux 11.11 core dumps when DISPLA

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: emacs 22.1 on hp-ux 11.11 core dumps when DISPLAY not set]
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 22:43:38 -0400

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Would someone please check and install this fix?

It doesn't make any sense to me, except as a workaround for an HPUX
compiler bug, but I guess I can't do any harm...?

1. Explicitly initialize static variables, even though the standard
requires this to happen automatically;

2. Move static vars from function scope to file scope, even though
they are only used in the function.

Curiously, the only online reference I can find for this is an emacs
bug report from 1993, about what looks like the same problem with a
HPUX compiler compiling etags.

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.bug/msg/a2caf200c2a84695

> This message and any files transmitted with it are legally
> privileged and intended for the sole use of the individual(s) or
> entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please notify the sender by reply and delete the message
> and any attachments from your system. Any unauthorised use or
> disclosure of the content of this message is strictly prohibited and
> may be unlawful.

Oh noes. :(