Re: byte-compiling compressed files

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: byte-compiling compressed files
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:09:00 +0200

> You can visit a compressed .el file, but you can't byte compile it.
> Do people think it would be a good idea to add such a feature?

I can see how it might be handy, but I cannot say that I would use it
much. How about other operations, like for example being able to copy
the uncompressed file to some place? An example:

C-x C-f test.el.gz RET ;; File opened and uncompressed.
M-x copy-file RET M-n ;; Doing this, test.el.gz is presented.

I could of course do C-x C-w to write the buffer contents to a new
file. Maybe there are similar scenarios?