Re: address@hidden: Re: Redraw problem with overlapping frames]

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Redraw problem with overlapping frames]
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 04:04:34 -0400

David Kastrup wrote:

> OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
> OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
> OpenGL version string: 2.0.6458 (8.36.5)
>
> I have not much success with other drivers.  Indeed, not even with the
> driver after that (it refused to suspend).

I was able to reproduce the effect in your image, using the command
you gave. In detail:

 emacs -q --no-site-file -f make-frame ~/.emacs
 arrange two frames side by side with a vertical offset of a few
 lines, overlapping a bit in the middle.
 put .emacs in the frame lower down the screen
 run M-x shell in the other frame
 run in shell:
 for ((i=0;;i++)); do
  printf "%d " $i
 done
 click in the .emacs frame to focus it (I use focus follows mouse).

Immediately the line in the shell frame just above the top of the
other frame is corrupt.

I am also using the ATI driver (for a mobility radeon x600). I could
never reproduce the effect with the Xorg radeon or vesa drivers. It
happens every time with the ATI driver. I can try an nvidia system
tomorrow. The ATI driver has a lot of options, maybe there is one that
will ameliorate this effect.