Re: address@hidden: Re: Redraw problem with overlapping frames]

From: Barry Fishman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Redraw problem with overlapping frames]
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:50:36 -0400

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>> David Kastrup skrev:
>>> It is Metacity, standard GNOME setup on Ubuntu.  However, you might be
>>> onto something: my computer at home, with identical Ubuntu version and
>>> identically configured Emacs does not show this effect.
>>>
>>> So it might be the X server or display drivers.  Some sort of ATI
>>> thingy.  No idea what alternatives I could try.
> screen #0:
>   dimensions:    1680x1050 pixels (331x212 millimeters)
>   resolution:    129x126 dots per inch
>   depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
>   root window id:    0x79
> display: :0.0  screen: 0
> OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
> OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
> OpenGL version string: 2.0.6458 (8.36.5)
>
> I have not much success with other drivers.  Indeed, not even with the
> driver after that (it refused to suspend).

I have this problem under debian etch and SuSE.  It seems to be do
to a combination of the ATI Proprietary drivers and a 1680x1050
display resolution.  I does not happen when I use a 1280x1024 monitor.

It also happens when I don't have emacs running.  Overlapped urxvt and
mlterm (but not xterm windows) will show the effect when they are the
bottom of two overlapping windows and are scrolled.

I think is a problem (among many others) with the ATI proprietary
drivers.
--
Barry Fishman