Re: Patch: prefer-window-split-horizontally

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Patch: prefer-window-split-horizontally
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:53:30 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>> What do you think about adding another variable
>> `split-window-function' with the default value
>> `split-window-vertically' or nil with the same meaning, and the
>> possible other value `split-window-horizontally'?  This would be like
>> setting `ediff-split-window-function' to `split-window-horizontally'.
>
> Just for the record: we're talking about something used only in
> display-buffer so a name like `split-window-function' doesn't seem
> right.

The suggested variable's function could be used in `split-window',
couldn't it?

In <address@hidden> I suggested that the function
assigned to `split-window-function' should return a symbol naming the
function that does the split.  So one could define splitting heuristics
like "split horizontally as long as each window is more than 80 columns
wide after balancing".  I don't know if it's feasible, but I really like
the possibilities it offers.

Bye,
Tassilo