Re: gnus-summary-catchup turns ticked into unread

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: gnus-summary-catchup turns ticked into unread
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:54:52 +0900

> [I sent this message a week ago but did not get a response.
> Could we get the discussion moving again?]

>     The function definition for the XEmacs version of pop-to-buffer
>     is as follows.  There's no difference between XEmacs 21.4 and 21.5.
>     The optional ON-FRAME is boolean, so there seems no way to keep
>     the compatibility.

>     (defun pop-to-buffer (bufname &optional not-this-window-p on-frame)
>       If optional third arg is non-nil, it is the frame to pop to this
>       buffer on.

> I am sure that few callers pass the argument NORECORD to
> pop-to-buffer.  So I think an incompatible change would be ok, adding
> the ON-FRAME argument before NORECORD.

> What do others think?

I worry that changing the arguments list of such a generic function
in Emacs causes further confusion.  For instance, since Gnus supports
Emacs 21, 22, 23 and XEmacs, source codes that use `pop-to-buffer'
and need to use the NORECORD argument will have to get more complicated.
We might, if anything, give up using that argument, since it doesn't
seem to be very important in the codes in question actually.  It also
might suggest that such arguments that are not indispensable and are
incompatible with versions of Emacsen will be doomed to be not used.
So, I think we have nothing to do for `pop-to-buffer'.

Regards,