Re: Patch: prefer-window-split-horizontally

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Patch: prefer-window-split-horizontally
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:11:04 -0400

>>> The suggested variable's function could be used in `split-window',
>>> couldn't it?
>>
>> Sounds more delicate: split-window is a lower-level function used by
>> several other pieces of code that want to have precise control over
>> the layout of windows inside a frame (e.g. Gnus).

> Since `split-window-function' would default to `split-window-vertically'
> it shouldn't make a difference.  And of course `split-window-function'
> may only be used in `split-window' if its parameters SIZE and HORFLAG
> are omitted.

> Do you think there are packages that would still be break on this?  If
> yes, then maybe the packages should be adapted to the new behavior (by
> adding the required params to `split-window' if they need fine grained
> control) and not the other way around.

Changing the behavior of split-window so that it uses something like
split-window-function only makes sense if we want to change the behavior
seen by current callers of this function.  If all/most current callers of
this function would rather have it stay the way it is and if all callers
that want it changed do not call it directly (or call it interactively),
then we're better off changing the other place where split-window is called
(i.e. display-buffer) or creating a new function.

        Stefan