Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:11:03 +0300

> It looks like a very nice feature. Some quick comments:
>
> 1. This is about the non-fancy splash screen only. In the initial
>    splash screen (the one that appears after emacs starts), the links
>    work. But if I later on choose Help->About Emacs, the links don't
>    work; I guess since any action makes the splash screen disappear.

Hmm, links work in `fancy-splash-screens' (started from Help->About Emacs),
but don't work in `normal-splash-screen'.  I think we should make this
screen more persistent, so only special keys (`q' and `SPC') make it
disappear.

> 2. In the fancy splash screen, the text continues to cycle when the
>    mouse is over a link. This means that one can have the mouse over
>    the "Tutorial" link, but before one can press it the text cycles so
>    that "Exit Emacs" is under the cursor. Ouch. Is there a way to
>    disable the text cycling while the mouse is over a link?

The automatic text cycling is too annoying in all regards: even if the
user doesn't finish reading one screen, it jumps to another.  I think
we should replace this with tabs where clicking on them switches to
another screen.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/