Re: [patch] automatic multiple grep session

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [patch] automatic multiple grep session
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:50:09 -0400

    +(defcustom grep-use-command-line-as-buffer-name nil
    +  "Use the command line of grep as the name for grep buffer if non-nil.

I can't make sense of that sentence, or that variable name.
Can you please explain what this feature is intended to do?

    +(defun grep-make-buffer-name-function (seed-string)
    +  "Make a function that returns a buffer name derived from SEED-STRING.
    +This is used when `grep-use-command-line-as-buffer-name' is non-nil."
    +  (when grep-use-command-line-as-buffer-name
    +    (eval `(lambda (mode) (format "*%s*"
    +                             ,seed-string)))))

What's the purpose of calling `eval' here?
It is a bad thing to do, when it is not really necessary,
and I can't see the purpose of doing so here.

Please note that some of the code you changed had its line
breaks in the wrong place; I just fixed that.