Re: modification hooks called only once...

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: modification hooks called only once...
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:22:27 -0400

> Who wrote this in FOR-RELEASE?
>
>     Here we list small fixes that arrived too late for Emacs 22.2, but
>     that should be installed on the release branch after 22.2 is released.
>
>     ** address@hidden, 1 Aug: address@hidden: modification hooks called only
> once in
>     Fix is on the trunk: 2007-08-13 change to insdel.c by Stefan Monnier.
>     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-08/msg00457.html
>
> I am not convinced.  Would someone like to argue for this decision?

What are you not convinced about: that the fix is correct, or that it
has not been put in the branch?

If it's the latter, I don't have strong opinions either way.  Stefan's
fix makes an incompatible change to the behavior of modification
hooks, albeit one that makes it behave more cleanly.  It seems
unlikely that there is existing code that assumes the old behavior,
but I don't know for sure.  One way to find out is to let it sit in
the trunk for a while to see if bugs crop up, but if you think the
risk is low, sure, let's add it to the branch now.