Re: address@hidden: Emacs 22.1 hung after delete-process]

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Emacs 22.1 hung after delete-process]
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:40:19 +0100

dhruva wrote:
> I have not modified the the call to WaitForSingleObject in the latest
> patch. I doubt the implementation of read which could be different for
> different compilers (C-runtime library).

It may be implemented as a macro in one or both compilers, that would
explain it. The C runtime library is the same system library in both
cases (CRTDLL.DLL)

> It is the call to read in _sys_read_ahead which continues to block
> even after the sub process is killed. If we change that read to use
> ReadFile using OVERLAPPED structure, we could handle canceling of IO
> when we want to terminate the thread more elegantly. But, that would
> be more changes as we need to use the HANDLE and not fd.

This would be a good change, not just here, but in sys_select in
w32proc.c, which is overcomplicated due to a past design decision to use
winsock 1.1 rather than winsock 2. We have changed that in 22.1 since
the versions of Windows NT that lack winsock 2 support have not been
supported by Emacs for some years now.