Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:35:09 +0300

>     The automatic text cycling is too annoying in all regards: even if the
>     user doesn't finish reading one screen, it jumps to another.
>
> It will come back to the first screen, and most of the two screens are
> identical.
>
> This isn't perfect, but I don't know of a better option.

The startup screen already contains information from two screens
combined into one screen.  We could do the same for the About screen.
Is the only reason for flashing screens to make them more attractive?

>                                                                 I think
>     we should replace this with tabs where clicking on them switches to
>     another screen.
>
> No way!  Hardly anyone will see the second screen
> if you have to explicitly ask for it.
>
> I would be glad to find a better way, but I don't want to change
> to something worse.

If we really need second screen, we could place less important information
to the second screen, and add guidelines on the first screen how to see
the second screen.  Then there are more chances that users don't miss
important information.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/