Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:55:36 +0300

> To create links in the startup screen, I modified the previous patch
> to use the function `insert-button' from button.el to allow navigation
> between links and better processing of their actions.  I hope there are
> no problems with this because this function is auto-loaded.

There is one problem with using `insert-button': after starting Emacs
it displays the message "Loading button...done" in the echo area.

There is one clumsy way to prevent this.  The comment in `command-line-1'
in startup.el says:

      ;; display-splash-screen at the end of command-line-1 calls
      ;; use-fancy-splash-screens-p. This can cause image.el to be
      ;; loaded, putting "Loading image... done" in the echo area.
      ;; This hides startup-echo-area-message. So
      ;; use-fancy-splash-screens-p is called here simply to get the
      ;; display-startup-echo-area-message runs.

But this is unnecessary because image.el is already preloaded in the
dumped Emacs.  Can we do the same and preload button.el?  This package
is very small, and it's very likely to be loaded in a Emacs session
(there are many packages using button.el including Help mode, man, etc.)

After that, we could remove this unnecessary part of `command-line-1'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/