Re: The splash screens

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: The splash screens
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:23:10 +0200

How about the following layout, my comments inside parentheses. This
is for the graphical splash screen:

---
[image, if people think it should be there]

GNU Emacs is one component of the GNU/Linux operating system.
You can do basic editing with the menu bar and scroll bar using the mouse.
To quit a partially entered command, type Control-g.

Important Help menu items:
Emacs Tutorial          Learn how to use Emacs efficiently
Emacs FAQ               Frequently asked questions and answers
View Emacs Manual               View the Emacs manual using Info
Emacs Guided Tour               See http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/
(*has
to be added to the Help menu)

(*btw, on my system, there seem to be a TAB character too much on the
last two lines above, the descriptions are not lined up well)

Useful tasks:
Visit New File          Specify a new file's name, to edit the file
Open Home Directory     Open your home directory, to operate on its files
Open *scratch* buffer   Open buffer for notes you don't want to save
Customize Startup               Change initialization settings including this
screen

Useful File menu items: (*do we need this section at all?)
Exit Emacs              (Or type Control-x followed by Control-c)
Recover Crashed Session Recover files you were editing before a crash
(*duplicate)

Other
Absence of Warranty     GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Copying Conditions              Conditions for redistributing and changing Emacs
Getting New Versions    How to obtain the latest version of Emacs
More Manuals / Ordering Manuals       Buying printed manuals from the FSF

This is GNU Emacs 22.1.50.19 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.3)
 of 2007-08-17 on localhost

If an Emacs session crashed recently, type Meta-x recover-session RET
to recover the files you were editing.
---

What do people think?

/Mathias