Re: The splash screens

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: The splash screens
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 02:32:14 +0300

> How about the following layout, my comments inside parentheses. This
> is for the graphical splash screen:
>
> ---
> [image, if people think it should be there]
>
> GNU Emacs is one component of the GNU/Linux operating system.
> You can do basic editing with the menu bar and scroll bar using the mouse.
> To quit a partially entered command, type Control-g.
>
> Important Help menu items:
> Emacs Tutorial                Learn how to use Emacs efficiently
> Emacs FAQ             Frequently asked questions and answers
> View Emacs Manual             View the Emacs manual using Info
> Emacs Guided Tour             See http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/
> (*has
> to be added to the Help menu)

I'm not sure whether it's good to start the browser from the Help menu.

> (*btw, on my system, there seem to be a TAB character too much on the
> last two lines above, the descriptions are not lined up well)

This depends on the font size.  I fixed this by changing tabs to one tab, and
setting tab-width to 22.  Now descriptions are lined up regardless of font size.

> Useful tasks:
> Visit New File                Specify a new file's name, to edit the file
> Open Home Directory   Open your home directory, to operate on its files
> Open *scratch* buffer Open buffer for notes you don't want to save
> Customize Startup             Change initialization settings including this
> screen
>
> Useful File menu items: (*do we need this section at all?)

No more.

> Exit Emacs            (Or type Control-x followed by Control-c)
> Recover Crashed Session       Recover files you were editing before a crash
> (*duplicate)
>
> Other
> Absence of Warranty   GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> Copying Conditions            Conditions for redistributing and changing Emacs
> Getting New Versions  How to obtain the latest version of Emacs
> More Manuals / Ordering Manuals       Buying printed manuals from the FSF

Maybe instead of splitting the section "Important Help menu items",
we should move it completely to after the section "Useful tasks"?
The reason is that it would be more easy to reach the useful tasks
by pressing TAB (less keystrokes).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/