loop in backup-copy-buffer

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: loop in backup-copy-buffer
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:59:21 -0400

You added the (potentially infinite) loop in backup-buffer-copy a few
years ago. Looks like it was adapted from make-temp-name. I can see it
might make sense to loop while trying to make a tempfile name, but was
there ever a case where this was found to be necessary when backing
up? Can we just get rid of this loop? The ChangeLog entry is not
helpful as to why such a loop might be needed.

2005-04-23  Richard M. Stallman  <address@hidden>

            * files.el (read-directory-name): Always pass non-nil
            DEFAULT-FILENAME arg to read-file-name.
            (backup-buffer-copy, basic-save-buffer-2): Take care
            against writing thru an unexpected existing symlink.