Re: Strange change in backquote expansion

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Strange change in backquote expansion
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:36:27 -0400

>>> Btw: what testcase did you actually fix with the original bug fix?
>> The font-lock-keywords in log-view.el.

> But that does not use nested backquotes, and the source of the problem
> was only how backquote templates are formatted by the lisp printer.

Yes, there was a problem when printing, but I also found a problem with the
handling of nested backquotes while trying to debug the problem.

Maybe it occurred when I tried to change the ' into a ` around the whole
expression to see if the bug was linked to the handling of backuotes inside
quotes, as suggested in the original bug report.

Maybe I simply got confused and there was no problem at all, but at least
the original code didn't make much sense to me.  Looking at it again, I see
that indeed the addition of the `level' stuff was not necessary, only the
change in the treatment of a , or ` in the middle of a list was needed.

In hindsight the old way to handle nested backquotes was maybe more elegant
(counting levels implicitly), although it had the disadvantage of traversing
the term N times for a nesting of N.  Feel free to revert that part (but
then plase add a comment next to the double call of backquote-process to
explain why it makes counting levels unnecessary).

        Stefan