Re: 22.1.50; insert-file-contents is slow under tramp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 22.1.50; insert-file-contents is slow under tramp
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:32:19 -0400

>> So I hope there's a better way.
> Yes. I've installed a patch in the trunk, which makes a fast track for
> "remote" files being on localhost.

How does that work?  I mean when accessing files on the localhost with
Tramp, the most likely situation I can think of is the `su' method so how
what does your "fast track" do to transfer the file faster?  Does it copy it
to /tmp at the "remote" end, then make it world-readable, then copy it on
the "local" end, then remove it at the remote end?

> For real remote hosts, I recommend to use scp when accessing huge files.

Reminds me: where is the bottleneck in the inline method?  I mean
fundamentally doing a base64 encoding/decoding shouldn't cost that much
(negligible CPU-wise and a mere 33% in network transfer).  Maybe we could
attack this part to improve performance?

        Stefan