Re: loop in backup-copy-buffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: loop in backup-copy-buffer
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:42:08 -0400

>     The problem with make-temp-name is not just a race-condition but that
>     the race-condition introduces a security hole.  I don't think the same
>     holds for backup files since they must have predicate names.

> You might be right -- I am not sure -- but what are predicate names?

They're typos.  I meant "predictable names".  The fact that the names have
to be predictable means that the looping trick is not a solution and that
a different solution needs to be used, typically by storing those files in
directories that are not world-writable (which is indeed the case for
backup files and if not, they do not present any additional danger compared
to the original file since they're in the same directory anyway).

        Stefan