Re: regression in C-x v = in latest versions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: regression in C-x v = in latest versions
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 21:08:43 -0400

    This problem (only in the CVS trunk, therefore not relevant for Emacs
    22.2, by the way) was introduced by Eric Raymond's 2007-07-18 change
    to VC. The (rather ominous) cvs log entry reads only:

        Put the lower half (the back-end) of NewVC in place. This commit
        makes only the minimum changes needed to get the old vc.el logic
        working with the new back ends.

I asked him to provide a proper change log, and he did not do it.
It isn't fair that he is leaving this job to be done by
someone else, but if he won't do it, I think we need someone
else to do it -- for the sake of maintainability.

Stefan, can you do it?  You know the VC code best.

    Anyway, it's caused by the removal of this code from vc-svn-diff:

    (if (and oldvers (equal oldvers (vc-workfile-version file)))
      ;; Use nil rather than the current revision because svn
      ;; handles it better (i.e. locally).
      (setq oldvers nil))

    "file" has now been replaced by "files", a list. vc-workfile-version
    can easily be generalized to accept a list of files as input, so
    here's a possible patch. Though I don't understand how this is
    supposed to work now.

I don't understand.  Is this patch your suggested fix, or is it the
patch you say broke things?  Please always be explicit about that.
It is not good to have to guess the answer.

If it is your suggested fix, why do you suggest generalizing
vc-workfile-version?

Stefan, what do you think about how to fix this?