Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostScript/DVI files in Emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostScript/DVI files in Emacs
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:20:25 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

Hi David,

>> I changed doc-view.el so that it uses plain ghostscript (plus dvipdfm
>> for DVI files) which gives good results and is about ten times faster
>> than with ImageMagick's convert.
>>
>> The only downside is that I don't know how to cut off the margins.
>> Those waste a lot of buffer space when displaying the image.
>> converts -trim option was very nice for that cause.  Do you know how
>> one can do that with ghostview?
>
> Well, that is one of the things done in preview-latex.  Do you have
> the bounding box information for your images (preview-latex takes them
> from TeX usually)?

No, how should I get it?  I only have PDF/PS or DVI files with no
sources at all.

>>> Ghostscript is used as a daemon in order to render the stuff in a
>>> useful order, and a single Ghostscript session renders all images.
>>
>> Well, the conversion in doc-view.el runs asynchronous, too.  Users
>> can go on with their work and eventually the *DocView* buffer will
>> pop up.
>
> preview-latex provides a working view of the buffer straight away,
> rendering images and replacing place-holders first on the displayed
> screen area, then off-screen.  That way, you get immediate visual
> feedback where you need it, even though the rendering of thousands of
> images might take a minute or so.

Yes, I know.  I use it sometimes to check if the LaTeX source I write is
correct, especially for huge math formulas.

> It is really several years of optimizations and user feedback that
> went into the code base.  You should take it for a test drive before
> deciding that its behavior does not suggest interesting material to
> your project.

If it can be useful if everything I have is the plain document with no
additional source or infos about included images, then I'll do it.

So can it do that?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Früher haben wir vor dem Essen  immer gebetet, aber jetzt hat meine Frau
einen Kochkurs gemacht.