bug of display-table & make-glyph-code

From: levin
Subject: bug of display-table & make-glyph-code
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:32:22 +0800

To reinvent this bug, please follow:

1. Please save the text below as glyph.org, visit it, and `M-x org-mode' to
turn on org mode.

2. Keep the first headline collapsed by pressing TAB (if neccessary) on it.

3. you can expand the second/third headline by press TAB on it.

4. eval the lisp code in the second headline, this CANNOT change "..."
display.

5. eval the lisp code in the third headline, this CAN change "..." display.

I find out that if make-glyph-code returns a negative int, then the
display table does not take effect on "..." display.

--------8<-------------8<--------
* Please keep me collapsed by pressing TAB (if neccessary)
some info to hide

* please eval me, this CANNOT change "..." display
(describe-face 'org-warning)

(face-id 'org-warning)  # mine is 77 here

(unless buffer-display-table
  (setq buffer-display-table (make-display-table)))

(set-display-table-slot buffer-display-table 'selective-display
                        (vconcat (mapcar
                                  (lambda (c)
                                    (make-glyph-code c 'org-warning))
                                  "...")))

* please eval me, this can change ellipse display
(describe-face 'tooltip)

(face-id 'tooltip)   # mine is 54 here

(unless buffer-display-table
  (setq buffer-display-table (make-display-table)))

(set-display-table-slot buffer-display-table 'selective-display
                        (vconcat (mapcar
                                  (lambda (c)
                                    (make-glyph-code c 'tooltip))
                                  "...")))
--------8<-------------8<--------

My environment:
In GNU Emacs 23.0.0.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2007-08-27 on MagicLinux
configured using `configure  '--with-x-toolkit=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: zh_CN.GB18030
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: chinese-gb18030-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  encoded-kbd-mode: t