Re: 22.1.50; insert-file-contents is slow under tramp

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 22.1.50; insert-file-contents is slow under tramp
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:06:04 +0200

>     It is hard to say: basically, they work around deficiencies in the CPU
>     schedulers of the respective operating systems.
>
> That suggests we should enable them by default on the systems where
> they help, right?
>
>     Linux is supposed to get CFS, "completely fair scheduling" in its next
>     released version, something like 2.6.23.  This should quite help with
>     the original problem.
>
> We might want to set the default at run time based on that.
> But that is a matter for the future.  For current versions of Linux,
> is it better to set process-adaptive-read-buffering to t?

For M-x shell, yes.  For tramp, apparently no.  I think this means
that we need to look into the implementation again and fix the
behavior: if I understand the documentation correctly, it is supposed
to omit the artificially introduced delays in the tramp usage case,
namely when round-tripping on a terminal.

--
David Kastrup