Re: address@hidden: maximize resizes to large size, but doesn't really m

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: maximize resizes to large size, but doesn't really maximize]
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:01:59 +0200

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:54:42 -0400 Bob Rogers <address@hidden> wrote:

>    From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
>    Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:21:33 -0400
>
>    > From: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <address@hidden>
>    > Subject: maximize resizes to large size, but doesn't really maximize
>    >
>    > under KDE when maximizing an emacs window (with the square) the
>    > window will resize to almost fullscreen size instead of really
>    > going to fullscreen. This also makes it impossible to go back
>    > from fullscreen size to small size with a single click.
>
>    I can't reproduce this in the Gnome window manager in either the
>    branch or the trunk.  Is anyone on this list using KDE?
>
> I am seeing the first half of this in KDE 3.1.4 (Gnu/Linux, SuSE 9.0).
> When I maximize, there is a thin sliver of root window at the right
> margin, but not at the other margins.  But when I click the "maximize"
> button again, the frame goes immediately back to its original size.
>
>    But 3.1.4 is rather old; I can try a newer version tomorrow.  Maybe
> they have a bug that got worse in later versions . . .

I reported this bug some time ago (see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2005-05/msg00325.html).
I have continued to observe it since then, currently with GNU Emacs
22.1.50.11 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.6) of 2007-08-24 on
escher and KDE 3.5.7 (openSUSE 10.2).  The current behavior is a bit
different and seems to depend on the type of maximization and also
perhaps on the font.  I can provide details if someone's interested.

Steve Berman