RE: 22.1.50; Augmenting Emacs Keybindings To Match Included Packages?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: 22.1.50; Augmenting Emacs Keybindings To Match Included Packages?
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:03:59 -0700

> >> Also, I've long bound   M-r to replace-string
>
> The default binding for M-r (move-to-window-line) is also quite
> helpful

The usefulness of a key sequence is one consideration. Other possible
considerations include the difficulty of effecting it (on common keyboards)
and whether or not you can auto-repeat it by holding it pressed.

It seems a shame to spend (waste) a (typically) repeatable key such as `M-r'
on a command such as `move-to-window-line' or `replace-string' that cannot
take advantage of holding the key (chord) down to repeat the command. Not a
big deal, admittedly, but something else to perhaps keep in mind.

Short key sequences are relatively scarce. In general, it's better to use a
key that cannot repeat, such as `C-x <whatever>' for a command that
typically will not be repeated. There are exceptions, of course, including
quick keys that you want to be able to use often.