RE: Change in emacsclient behavior

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Change in emacsclient behavior
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:04:29 -0700

> I think this change is a mistake:
>
>     +** Emacsclient has been extended to support opening a new terminal
>     +frame.  Its behavior has been changed to open a new Emacs frame by
>     +default.  Use the -c option to get the old behavior of
> opening files in
>     +the currently selected Emacs frame.
>
> For people that normally don't make new frames, this will be a hassle.
> So I think it should depend on the value of `pop-up-frames'.
>
> Are there any arguments against testing `pop-up-frames'?

I have no argument against that test. However, testing non-nil
`pop-up-frames' is not always a sufficient indication that a user wants a
separate frame.

`special-display-regexps' and `special-display-buffer-names' can also
indicate a user wish for a separate frame. If a file name matches one of
these, then perhaps emacslient should use a separate frame. (I don't know
whether that already happens.)