Re: 22.1.50; Augmenting Emacs Keybindings To Match Included Packages?

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: 22.1.50; Augmenting Emacs Keybindings To Match Included Packages?
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:47:36 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> The default binding for M-r (move-to-window-line) is also quite
>> helpful
>
> The usefulness of a key sequence is one consideration. Other possible

Well, I actually meant the help fullness of the command itself and
that users are already used to M-r.  It would be interesting to know
when this key combination was introduced.

> considerations include the difficulty of effecting it (on common keyboards)
> and whether or not you can auto-repeat it by holding it pressed.

True, that's a point.

> It seems a shame to spend (waste) a (typically) repeatable key such as `M-r'
> on a command such as `move-to-window-line' or `replace-string' that cannot
> take advantage of holding the key (chord) down to repeat the command. Not a
> big deal, admittedly, but something else to perhaps keep in mind.

Not necessarily at all circumstances.  Some more commands could be as
intelligent/subservient as C-x zzzzzz (just repeating the last char
for repetition) C-x ^ or C-x comes to mind.

> Short key sequences are relatively scarce. In general, it's better to use a
> key that cannot repeat, such as `C-x <whatever>' for a command that
> typically will not be repeated. There are exceptions, of course, including
> quick keys that you want to be able to use often.

Admitted, I'm not using M-r as often as C-s or M-f for example but in
the process of positioning the cursor as near as possible to a visual
target within the window (my use of M-r) one is impatient and happy to
use short key sequences or might otherwise succumb to the mouse.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany