Re: address@hidden: 23.0.0; (thing-at-point 'url) returns invalid urls]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: address@hidden: 23.0.0; (thing-at-point 'url) returns invalid urls]
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:42:03 -0400

>> Would someone please DTRT and ack?
> There's no problem here and nothing to do. The URLs returned are
> perfectly valid. See the discussion that followed the original email.

Maybe the docstring (and or behavior) should be adjusted to make the
distinction clear between "assuming there's a URL at point, return it" and
"check if there's a URL at point, and if there is, return it".

This is often a somewhat subtle but important difference.  When the user
does M-x browse-url RET, it makes perfect sense to place as default in the
minibuffer the best URL we could come up with, even if it doesn't look very
likely to a good one.

OTOH if we create a command which can do two different thing depending on
whether there's a URL at point, we would want to be much more stringent on
what we consider as an acceptable "URL at point".

        Stefan