Outline mode

From: John J Foerch
Subject: Outline mode
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:30:41 -0400

Hello,

Outline-mode has a problem that I would like to fix.  To see the
problem, hide an entry (C-c C-c) in an outline-mode buffer, and put
point at the end of the heading with C-e.  Point will then be located
to the right of the ellipsis, and as far as emacs knows, point is on
the last line of the hidden entry.  Typing characters or hitting
backspace, and many other commands will affect the last line of the
entry.

When an entry is collapsed in outline-mode, what actually gets marked
invisible is everything from the newline of the heading to the
character before the final newline of the entry.  It would make more
sense, if the newline of the heading were left visible, and the final
newline of the entry were hidden.  The ellipsis can be placed in the
buffer by using the 'display property on the newline of the heading.

The code attached to this email implement this behavior, and I hope
you will try it out.

However, there is a large problem with fixing outline-mode.  The
problem is that many of the modes that derive their behavior from
outline-mode probably depend on the current way that entries are
hidden.  I am hoping that I can get advice from more experienced emacs
developers on how to go about this project.  I am also hoping to get
help from the maintainers of as many of the derived modes as possible.

Thank you,
John Foerch
aka RetroJ in #emacs