Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 00:01:47 +0300

>       If not using an Info file and not using automatically alternating
> screens,
>       I see no better UI than clicking on tabs to switch between screens.
>       This is how many programs display information on the About page.
>
>     Is this acceptable?
>
> The problem it is solving is obsolete.  We already decided to remove
> the help commands from About, thus shortening it and reducing it to
> one screen.

As many programs usually contain 4 pages on the About screen: "Authors",
"Licence", "Report Bug" and "How to Contribute", Emacs could do the same
even without using Info files (which are not always available).

There are 4 files in the root directory of the Emacs tree that exactly
correspond to these 4 pages: AUTHORS, COPYING, BUGS and CONTRIBUTE.

On the About screen we could add 4 links to these files clicking on which
will open the file in another window (using `find-file-other-window').

Unfortunately, it seems that these files don't always get into Emacs
distributions.  At least, I can't find them on Debian.  Maybe this
is because these files are not in the etc directory.  What about
moving/copying them to etc where they can be found by `data-directory'?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/