Re: TRIVIAL: message in minibuffer

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: TRIVIAL: message in minibuffer
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 09:20:24 +0200

dhruva <address@hidden> writes:

>  I have Emacs (HEAD) on WXP. On launching Emacs, I get the following
> message in the mini buffer.
>
> "For information about the GNU system and GNU/Linux, type C-h C-p."
>
> Is the mention of "GNU/Linux" intentional (though I am on
> M$)?. IMHO, we could mention FSF instead so that it has a wider
> coverage.

The FSF is a political organization (or whatever you want to call it)
in charge of the GNU project.  Emacs is part of the GNU project.  The
most popular and widely available GNU systems are GNU/Linux.  In
particular if you are coming from a non-UNIX background, those are
relevant keywords and information.

Typing C-c C-p takes you to general information about the GNU project,
including a short passage on the GNU/Linux aspect.

The FSF's views, activities and goals comprise more than just the GNU
project but the focus of the information is all about GNU.

So I think that this is spot on, and being on MS Windows does not
really make a difference.

--
David Kastrup