Re: Change in emacsclient behavior

From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
Subject: Re: Change in emacsclient behavior
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 11:31:23 -0400

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> Normally I don't use several frames, but for emacsclients I like the new
>> behavior.  Making it depend on pop-up-frames wouldn't help me, so I'm
>> for the reversed behavior of the -c option, too.

> How about the following default behavior of emacsclient:

> 1. When invoked without arguments, display the current frame (-c uses the
> current frame, but this could be customizable to display the initial frame
> or any of existing frames).

What does it mean to "display" a frame?

> 2. When invoked with -e or --eval, display the current frame and eval the
> expression on this frame.

Why is it even useful to "display" a frame before evaluating the
expression?  I think it is important to have a way to evaluate an
expression without any other side effects.  In particular, it is
important to be able to evaluate an expression without quitting out of a
minibuffer prompt.  (I don't know if that problem still exists.)

[snip]

I think it is most important that emacsclient provides a sufficient
interface for achieving all possible desirable behavior.  Users can then
create their own shell scripts, aliases, etc. that can be used with the
desired syntax.  The actual syntax that the base emacsclient program
provides is of very marginal importance.

> BTW, does anyone know how to start a detached Emacs server so that after
> logout and login I could connect to it with emacsclient?

> I tried

>   nohup emacs -nw -f server-start

> but it writes to nohup.out

>   emacs: standard input is not a tty

> and exits.  Then I tried with the -batch argument, but this
> doesn't work neither.

You can use screen.

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard