Re: Split man directory

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Split man directory
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:19:32 +0200

* Glenn Morris (2007-09-03) writes:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>> Since the Emacs Manual is the main manual for Emacs, and the others
>> are secondary, I'd rather do it as I said before.
>
> It's only a directory name, what difference does it make? The "man"
> directory is confusingly named, IMO, because it has nothing to do with
> the traditional Unix "man" directory. It doesn't even contain sources
> for man pages.
>
> emacsref/man/doc and miscref/man/doc?

If the manuals are supposed to be stored in a central place I'd suggest
a "man/<manual>" directory structure.  The result would be "man/emacs",
"man/lispref", and perhaps "man/other".  If a manual is split into
several files this could be supported by adding a directory for it below
"man" or "man/other".  (BTW, the RefTeX manual was split some time ago
in the AUCTeX repository.)

A completely different approach would be to put the documentation of
libraries or packages where the code is and have a per package directory
structure like "lib/<package>/lisp" and "lib/<package>/doc".

I hope I don't blow this discussion out of proportion with such a
suggestion.

--
Ralf