Re: Change in emacsclient behavior

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Change in emacsclient behavior
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 16:37:04 -0400

> How about the following default behavior of emacsclient:

> 1. When invoked without arguments, display the current frame (-c uses the
> current frame, but this could be customizable to display the initial frame
> or any of existing frames).

> 2. When invoked with -e or --eval, display the current frame and eval the
> expression on this frame.

> 3. When invoked with one FILE argument, create a new frame with the file
> buffer.

> 4. When invoked with multiple FILE arguments, create either one frame with
> windows containing all specified files' buffers, or if `pop-up-frames' is
> non-nil, create as many frames as there are file arguments (starting a new
> Emacs session already does this).

I think most of those decisions are better placed in the user's .emacs than
on the emacsclient commandline.

Looking at the description above I always get nightmares of make-frame and
switch-to-buffer (the first having the problem of generating non-dedicated
frames, and the other having the problem of failing in several
circumstances and doing the wrong thing in others).  If you want to obey
pop-up-frames, then please use display-buffer (or pop-to-buffer).

        Stefan