Re: Outline mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Outline mode
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 17:03:57 -0400

> The ellipsis is implemented as a display property in an overlay on the
> newline of the heading, so point can be just before the ellipsis, and
> still be on the same line as the heading.  If you move point past the
> ellipsis, then point will be in the first column of the next heading.

> Thank you for mentioning deletion of the heading's newline.  I hadn't
> considered that situation, but now I have updated my patch to handle
> it, as well as other situations where invisible text could get
> modified.  I will attach the new version to this message.

> That's cool that you wrote reveal-mode.  I want to help update it to
> make it work with my changes to outline-mode.  I really think my
> changes are an improvement, but I also see that it will take patience
> and effort to make sure it works perfectly.

> It seems that the best way to proceed will be to add sections to this
> elisp file for each mode that needs to be updated.  Then all the
> changes for everything can be in one place, and people can use
> eval-buffer for testing, until it's finished.  I can put the relevant
> `require's at the top of the file to avoid problems with autoload.

Your code is really a big hack and the problems I mentioned are just one
of many.  You can cover those up by adding more hacks, which will just leave
other holes, etc...

This said, my assessment of the problem as being a redisplay problem isn't
right either.  It seems this redisplay problem was fixed a while ago, so
really I don't see what problem you're talking about.  Maybe the problem
you're referring to is that C-e doesn't go to the end of the heading (when
folded) but to the end of the entry (which is why point ends up after the
ellipsis).  This is a feature implemented in move-end-of-line.  Maybe you'd
want to rebind C-e to end-of-line rather than move-end-of-line.

Or maybe move-end-of-line should be changed so as not to jump to the end of
the entry in this case (i.e. to stop before a hidden text if that text is
covered by an ellipsis and is followed by a newline).  I'd tend to agree
with such a change.

        Stefan