Re: Change in emacsclient behavior

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Change in emacsclient behavior
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 07:56:29 +0200

>     To me, the main usefulness of multi-tty functionality is for when I'm
>     remotely logging in to a machine on which I already have a long-running
>     Emacs.
>
> With all due respect, that is not a major factor in choosing the
> interface of emacsclient.  Whatever interface we choose for it will
> apply to ALL use of emacsclient.  Not only to the occasional cases
> where you actually take advantage of the multi-tty functionality.
> We have to choose it for the usual case.

It is difficult _not_ to "take advantage" of the multi-tty
functionality right now.  Using emacsclient will start a new "terminal
session" at least with the current setup, with a completely separate
set of environment variables and other stuff.

And this will be the default setting for a number of people whose
working style this suits.