Re: Outline mode

From: John J Foerch
Subject: Re: Outline mode
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 20:09:39 -0400

"Davis Herring" <address@hidden> writes:

> Agreed.  With that change, the place where C-e goes now could be reached
> by C-n C-b (with `line-move-ignore-invisible' non-nil, which it is in
> Outline mode).  Without it, the place where C-e would go with it cannot be
> reached except by something as complicated as C-s C-q C-j C-b, or M-x
> search-forward RET C-q C-j RET to avoid unhiding the entry.
>
> With that change, is there even an issue anymore?  I'm not sure I
> understand all of the original complaint.
>
> Davis

This would only introduce more inconsistency to what is already there.
In my original posting, I only gave C-e as an example of how one might
get to the location I was talking about, not as the only command I
ever use to put point in that location.  The problem is not with C-e.

The problem is that the newline after the header is part of the entry,
and the newline before the next header is not part of the entry.  I
would like an option to have it the other way around, and I'm willing
to go so far as to write a new mode so I can have it that way.

I achieved the effect I want in the patch I posted, by an admitted
hack--bypassing the low-level ellipsis code, and implementing new
ellipsis code in outline.el.

But to implement this feature correctly, the low-level ellipsis code,
mainly in xdisp.c, if I am not mistaken, would need a new feature
added.  The new feature is to allow invisibility-spec to control where
the ellipsis would be displayed, instead of always displaying it at
the point of the invisible text.

If adding this feature to the low level ellipsis code is too
complicated, I would rather live with my hack method in my .emacs than
to see the behavior of C-e changed.  That said, I am studying the
low-level ellipsis code to see what I can make of it.  I'm not very
familiar with emacs' C codebase, so it all looks a bit hieroglyphic to
me at the moment.

Thanks to everyone who has taken an interest in this problem.  I
appreciate it very much.  It is a more complicated problem than I
originally thought, but I would rather take a longer time and fix the
fundamental problem in the ellipsis code than add a cosmetic hack to
outline.el or move-end-of-line.

--John