mouse-autoselect-window

From: Drew Adams
Subject: mouse-autoselect-window
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 22:53:14 -0700

I just stumbled upon `mouse-autoselect-window' and I wonder how it is
supposed to work - in particular, on MS Windows. The doc is pretty skimpy.

Trying it out with a value of t, it seems to make the focus follow the
mouse, as long as you stay within the same frame.

When you move the mouse to a different frame, the mode line is activated,
and the menu-bar and the tool-bar icons change (depending on the buffer),
giving the impression that the focus has shifted to the window under the
mouse in the new frame. But the focus remains in the last window the mouse
was in in the old frame. The frame border and title bar of the old frame
show that it still has the focus; it is only the mode line, menu-bar, and
tool bar that indicate (falsely) the contrary.

IIUC, on MS Windows there is no way for Emacs to override the
click-to-focus-frame behavior. In that case, should the mode line etc.
really indicate that the focus was moved to the other frame? Am I missing
something - is there some sense in which the new window (in the new frame)
is focused or active? If not, why activate its mode line etc.?

Also, wouldn't it be good to document both `mouse-autoselect-window' and
`focus-follows-mouse' in the same section of the Emacs manual - or at least
provide a cross reference? It's not obvious that both variables exist when
you read about one, and it's not obvious what relation there might be
between them - how each relates to focus.

Finally, shouldn't the doc string for `focus-follows-mouse' make it clear
that it is about _frames_? It does mention "window manager", but that's
about it.