Re: mouse-autoselect-window

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: mouse-autoselect-window
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:49:27 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> Re `mouse-autoselect-window' on a Microsoft operating system
>
>     When you move the mouse to a different frame ... the focus remains
>     in the last window the mouse was in in the old frame.
>
> `mouse-autoselect-window' works fine on a GNU/Linux Debian testing
> operating system updated this morning, using this morning's CVS of GNU
> Emacs, Wed, 2007 Sep 5 09:58 UTC,
>
> By `works fine', I mean, focus follows mouse from one frame to another
> and, on both windows I tested, into another window in the same frame.

Do you have a window manager with a click-to-focus policy (and an
according setting of focus-follows-mouse to nil)?  Because if you
don't, you are comparing apples and oranges.

> I have been using `mouse-autoselect-window' successfully for a long
> time in instances of GNU Emacs on a free operating system.  It looks
> like a bug in the restricted code.

Only if you use click-to-focus in your window manager.  Anyway, it
sounds to me like mouse-autoselect-window in connection with
click-to-focus would be a rather useless setting, anyway.  So the
problem appears more like a user configuration error than anything
else.

--
David Kastrup