RE: mouse-autoselect-window

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: mouse-autoselect-window
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:46:07 -0700

>  > I disagree.  I'm running Emacs on GNU/Linux under KDE, I have a
>  > click-to-focus policy but also have mouse-autoselect-window set to t,
>  > because I want to have autoselection between split windows within a
>  > single frame.  I also observe the same behavior that Drew Adams
>  > described.
>
> Seems like a bug, indeed.  Could you try the attached patch (against
> Emacs_22_BASE) with `focus-follows-mouse' nil and
> `mouse-autoselect-window' non-nil?  We'd also have to remove the
>
> This variable does not have any effect on MS-Windows.
>
> statement in the `focus-follows-mouse' doc-string (and as Drew suggested
> update the documentation).
>
> +            (or focus-follows-mouse
> +                ;; With `focus-follows-mouse' nil, do autoselection
> +                ;; if and only if we're within the same frame.
> +                (eq (window-frame window)
> +                    (window-frame (selected-window))))

Not sure I understand.

1. That does not select a window in another frame if you move the mouse to
it, regardless of the setting of focus-follows-mouse (on MS Windows).

2. It doesn't change the behavior of window selection within the same frame
(on MS Windows). On MS Windows, focus-follows-mouse has no effect. (So that
sentence should also not be removed from the doc.)

I think your fix might be needed for GNU/Linux etc. - I don't know. Looking
at it, it makes sense. But it does not address any issues I raised, AFAICT.

BTW (did I mention this?) - the doc string for focus-follows-mouse should
say that it is about frames, not about focus in windows (which might be in
the same frame).