Re: mouse-autoselect-window

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: mouse-autoselect-window
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 03:04:40 +0000 (UTC)

    > The original post described a desire to shift automatically from
    > frame to frame.

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> responded

    No, it did not. I simply asked some questions and reported an
    apparent doc problem and perhaps a difference in behavior on MS
    Windows. I never said anything about wanting the focus to follow
    the mouse across frames.

You may not have said that, but since you went from frame to frame but
the variable talks only of windows, I noted that.  It may well be a
doc problem.  I don't know anything about restricted code.

Perhaps Eli can help you.

    ...  about focus-follows-mouse letting one shift automatically
    from frame to frame.

That is a window manager function, not an Emacs function.  I thought I
made that clear.  How did I misstate that?

    >     Non-nil means autoselect window with mouse pointer.

    If the window with the mouse pointer is in a different frame, then
    that sentence ...

The documentation (the sentence after the right angle) does not talk
about frames at all.  So why would you expect a mouse pointer to focus
another frame?

That is a good stylistic question.  I think the sentence is meaningful
and accurate as it stands.  But it seems you interpret it as talking
about shifting frames, too.  I may be misinterpreting you, but if not,
why do you think that?

Also, of course, I can reach all the buffers from a single frame.

    I assume that on GNU/Linux etc. the focus moves but the window is
    not raised - that's the behavior I would prefer, anyway.

It depends on how you set your focus policy for a window manager.
Both in Enlightment, which I use mostly, and in KDE, which I check
occasionally, I set a focus-follows-mouse policy in which I raise the
focused window.  For one, I personally cannot stand having a part of
my active window hidden.  You can do otherwise.  At least one other
person reports a preference for click-to-focus.  The two variations
are a user choice.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden