Re: CVS HEAD fails to build on OSX 10.4 (macterm.c broken?)

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: CVS HEAD fails to build on OSX 10.4 (macterm.c broken?)
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:53:26 +0300

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:

> The former is the Carbon+AppKit port I'm recently developing on Emacs
> 22.
[...]
> The latter is the Cocoa/GNUstep port, developed by Adrian Robert et
> al. on Emacs 23.
[...]
> But I think it will not be late to do so after evaluating the two
> ports that use Cocoa (i.e., Carbon+AppKit and Cocoa/GNUstep) from
> various aspects.

FWIW, (probably a well known fact) -- the GNUstep project has
absolutely no plans to implement Carbon, even before Apple's
announcement which finally made it clear that using Carbon should be
discouraged.

So unless the plans of your Carbon+AppKit port are to get rid of
Carbon at some point, it is not an option for us (GNUstep users).  It
is not about a conflict or competition between these two ports, we
just don't have an option if the alternative port is useless for
GNUstep.  This is more than unfortunate given the fact that we've been
waiting for years for the merge of the unicode branch, hoping that the
GNUstep merge will follow shortly afterwards.

Of course, you are the one to decide what to do with your free time; I
just regret that the most active developer on that front has a
different vision that doesn't include GNUstep.