Re: CVS HEAD fails to build on OSX 10.4 (macterm.c broken?)

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: CVS HEAD fails to build on OSX 10.4 (macterm.c broken?)
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 19:23:07 +0900 (JST)

>> GNUstep is too much for me.  One of the most difficult tasks about
>> the Carbon+AppKit port was to absorb the difference between
>> multiple versions of Mac OS X, and adding more platforms exceeds my
>> ability (I've just started to learn Cocoa and Objective-C in July).

> But with Carbon+AppKit you're already on the ObjC train riding on
> the Cocoa railroad.  A GNUstep application runs flawlessly on
> GNU/Linux and (in most cases) on all versions of MuckOS X plus all
> the other platforms that GNUstep supports.  So basically, developing
> for GNUstep is like developing a Java program for GCJ/Classpath: it
> is usable in the Free World as well as with proprietary Java
> platforms.

> So we may say that one prominent incarnation of the "Java Trap" is
> the "Cocoa Trap".

I'm a beginner of Cocoa and Objective-C so I can't judge whether it is
also the case for Emacs.  Anyway, one of the important feature of the
Carbon+AppKit port is that it shares non-UI parts, especially the
drawing part, with the Carbon port that has been tested for a long
time by many users.  Also, as I said, the Carbon+AppKit port is
primarily a variant of the Carbon port, and therefore I think it can
be included to the later versions of Emacs 22.  If it also had GNUstep
code, it would no longer be called as a variant.

> I have to admit that I understand your hesitation, more or less.
> The trouble with Emacs on GNUstep is that GNUsteppers are not
> familiar with Emacs internals and Emacs developers are not familiar
> with GNUstep.  It is a mountain to learn when you look from both
> sides.

I guess a possible reason of the one-side familiarity is that both
sides of people think GNUstep users can at least run any other flavors
of X11 builds of Emacs seamlessly.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden