Re: .emacs-settings.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: .emacs-settings.el
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:50:28 +0300

>> Since .emacs-settings.el is a confusing file name, what about a more
>> appropriate and shorter file name like .dir-vars.el or .dir-locals.el
>> or .project.el.
>
> Please go re-read the thread that ended up with "emacs-settings".

I can find the following conversation:

Stefan> How 'bout "dir-local-settings" instead?
Stefan> I'm also tempted to add "emacs" in the name, but I guess that
Stefan> the ".el" extension can be considered sufficient information
Stefan> (and after all, we don't use the "Emacs" name in the "Local
Stefan> Variables" section cookies either).
Tom> Mentioning Emacs wouldn't be too bad.  "dir-local-settings" is too
Tom> long for my taste.
Tom> How about ".emacs-settings"?
Vagn> Good choice. It also follows "tradition" because dirvars.el uses
Vagn> .emacs-dirvars and dir-locals.el uses .emacs-locals.

I agree that it's a good tradition to use the same file names for
a package and its data files (dirvars.el -> .emacs-dirvars,
dir-locals.el -> .emacs-locals), but I don't see how this tradition
applies to package.el: package.el -> .emacs-settings.el?
This is confusing.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/