Re: emacs 22.1 on hp-ux 11.11 core dumps when DISPLAY not set

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs 22.1 on hp-ux 11.11 core dumps when DISPLAY not set
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 02:32:35 -0400

    I guess so. Do I just move all static variables to file scope,
    irrespective of type? Does it matter whether they are explicitly
    initialized, or if the values never change?

If the values never change, it is ok to have an initializer.
Variables with initializer may be put in pure space when Emacs is
dumped.

If the value can change, there must be no initializer.  So initialize
the variable in init_FILENAME or some such function that is called at
a suitable time.

It is a good idea to rename the variable
to a name that relates to the function that uses it.
Don't keep a short name like `cnt'.