Re: .emacs-settings.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: .emacs-settings.el
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:52:01 +0300

>>> I agree that it's a good tradition to use the same file names for
>>> a package and its data files (dirvars.el -> .emacs-dirvars,
>>> dir-locals.el -> .emacs-locals), but I don't see how this tradition
>>> applies to package.el: package.el -> .emacs-settings.el?
>>> This is confusing.
>
> Stefan> In my opinion, package.el is itself a poor name, since it
> Stefan> hints at other features such as CL packages or XEmacs
> Stefan> packages.
>
> FWIW -- it is "project.el"; "package.el" is that other thing I wrote
> that we all argue about :-)

Oops, perhaps I mistyped the package name because you are the author of
both packages.

> RMS already asked that I just put the code into files.el.  So all that
> will be left are the symbol names starting with "project-".

Hmm, in this case the package name is irrelevant for naming data files.

> Perhaps even "project" is a misnomer.  It is hard to say.  I do think
> the best use for this feature is project-specific settings.

I agree, "project" is a misnomer.  It can be used for project-specific
settings, but not necessarily limited to this.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/